As the 2024 Medicare Annual Election Period commences, Blue Shield of California is geared up to cater to the varied healthcare needs of seniors through a comprehensive range of products and services. These offerings provide members with choices between traditional in-person care and cutting-edge technology-based virtual and digital options.
In a statement, Jim McMahon, interim vice president, and general manager, expressed the organization’s commitment to placing their Medicare-eligible members at the core of their operations. He stated, “Excellence in health care offerings has been at the forefront of our mission as a nonprofit health plan serving Californians for more than 80 years.”
Understanding that Medicare is not a one-size-fits-all solution, Blue Shield of California provides a diverse array of Medicare plans, including Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans, meticulously designed to accommodate individual budgets and unique healthcare needs.
2024 Annual Election Period Highlights
Blue Shield Medicare Advantage Plan:
- Medical benefits for most members come with no to low copays for physician visits, inpatient, and outpatient hospital visits.
- Dental coverage includes an extensive network of general and specialty care dentists in California, covering services such as teeth cleanings, annual X-rays, fillings, and basic preventive and diagnostic services when utilizing network providers.
- Vision benefits encompass coverage for eye exams, frames, eyeglasses, or contact lenses, services not typically covered by original Medicare (underwritten by Blue Shield Life).
- The SilverSneakers Fitness Program is available at no additional cost to members.
- Blue Shield Inspire (HMO D-SNP) includes a Healthy Grocery allowance, an allowance for over-the-counter (OTC) items, hearing aids, 24/7 access to doctors via phone or video, and assistance with transportation to and from healthcare appointments, all at no extra cost to eligible members.
- Dedicated concierge services provide support for scheduling appointments, obtaining test results, securing medical equipment, and closing care gaps.
- The Trusted Provider Network offers one of the largest networks of doctors and specialists in California, ensuring continuity of care as individuals transition into Medicare. These Medicare Advantage plans also include prescription drug coverage.
Blue Shield’s Medicare Supplement Plan:
- Seniors with a Blue Shield Medicare Supplement Plan can visit any doctor who accepts Medicare. Some plans offer additional benefits, such as the Plan G Inspire, which includes a one-year Classic AAA Membership with roadside assistance and tools to enhance members’ safety and independence on the road.
For more details about Blue Shield’s Medicare and Medicare Supplement plans, as well as a comprehensive Medicare guide, please visit blueshieldcamedicare.com.
Blue Shield of California is an HMO, HMO D-SNP, PPO, and a PDP plan with a Medicare contract and a contract with the California State Medicaid Program. Enrollment in Blue Shield of California depends on contract renewal.